I would like to ask you to stop and pray right now…
We need to find a new apartment in our new community. Our current lease ends July 31, which means we have a very small window of time to find an apartment. Both of the girls are in Georgia staying with grandparents until July 16th, so we would really like to find an apartment before they return.
Finding an apartment in NYC can be very stressful and very difficult. First, you can’t start looking too early because apartments go so quickly here that when you see something you like, you have to be willing to immediately put down a deposit equal to one month’s rent to take it off the market. For example, I went to look at a great apartment today, but a couple (who had never seen the apartment) looked at it right after me. The agent and I were waiting for them to come out so I could meet the landlord, but the couple had already taken it! When you are looking, many agents don’t call you back and when they do the apartment is often much smaller than it appeared. Most apartments require excellent credit and have strict income requirements (about 40 x the monthly rent). At the same time as the deposit, you have to pay the first month’s rent and a broker’s fee (which is typically one month’s rent). All in all, in order to get into an apartment you usually have to pay three month’s rent up-front before you even move. When rent is $2,500 a month, that adds up to a lot!
- That we will find an apartment before July 16 that will be available the week before August 1.
- That we will find an apartment for $2,500/month (or less!).
- That we would be able to find an apartment with no broker fee.
- That God will continue to send financial partners to help us support our family.
- That we will find a two bedroom apartment that will be big enough for our family as well as entertaining guests.
- That we will find an apartment with a dishwasher (it’s been a long year without one!)
- That we will find an apartment with a washer and dryer in the building or close by (or even better…in the unit).
- Thank you for praying for us as we try to be the hands and feet of Jesus in New York!
Please take a quick moment to share this on Twitter and Facebook using the buttons below!
Jon and Bonnie